Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO, is essential for all businesses, large and small. SEO is the process of improving your website’s presence on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) so that when people use search engines, such as Google, your content ranks highly for search queries related to your products or services.
Why is SEO so Important for Small Businesses?
SEO is vital for small businesses as it helps produce organic traffic without your business committing to advertising. Having your website appear high in search results when users input search terms related to your services means people will see your website and have more chance of clicking through, reading about your company, product or services, and ultimately making a purchase.
If you do not set up your website with SEO, you’ll lose website traffic and business to your competitors with a successful SEO strategy.
SEO Musts for Small Businesses
- Keyword research – Keyword research should be carried out to find the correct words to use in your website copy, page titles, URLs and much more. Keywords are what will help you stand out to your target audience.
- Schema markup – Schema markup is a code that’s added to websites to give more information to search engines about your website. It can help websites rank higher and attract more clicks.
- On-Page SEO – on-page SEO helps explain what a website is about to search engines. This includes meta tags, meta descriptions, alt text and much more. Done correctly, and in conjunction with each other, will provide the best possible results.
- Gain backlinks – Backlinks are links from other websites to your website, and the best come from high-quality sites with high domain ratings. These links help show your website is valuable and will help raise your ranking in SERPs.
- Technical SEO – Technical SEO encompasses Secure Socket Layer, optimising page speed, ensuring site coding is logical, optimising for mobile and having a responsive mobile design.
- Good copy containing keywords – Good copy that includes your target keywords naturally will help increase visibility and ranking on SERPs.
When all the above are done correctly, it’s time to track and monitor SEO and make any changes that might be required. We recommend running full SEO audits regularly to stay on top of the elements and make changes if things aren’t performing as well as they should.
The right SEO strategy will help your target audience find you and help you stay competitive within your market and industry. At Caffeine Marketing, we can work together to determine and implement the right SEO strategy so that you don’t need to try and get your head around SERPs, meta-tags and keywords. To find out more about how we can improve your SEO, contact our team today by calling 0800 955 0499 or filling in our online contact form.